Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Book Review)



“Another secret of the universe: Sometimes pain was like a storm that came out of nowhere. The clearest summer could end in a downpour. Could end in lightning and thunder.”

★★★★★ 5/5 SHINING STARS! ★★★★★


The story revolves around these two boys namely Ari, and Dante (mostly Ari). Who has completely different personalities from each other. Throughout the story, they became the best of friends and together, they discovered the secrets of the universe.
(Okay, I'm crap at this.) 


Thoughts:
Initial reaction when starting the book:
"What am I reading"

"This book doesn't make sense"
"How come it's so boring?"
"I'll put this down for a while..."

Reaction when finished the book:
"Oh my goodness"
"Shit. Shit. SHIT!"
"OH WOW IT'S SO PERFECT"
"I NEED TISSUES"
"Oh sweet Lord"
"I NEED MORE OF THIS. SOMETHING. PLEASE."

The plot summary is difficult to describe. It's different. But in a good way. Most of the times, I didn't know what was going on. Which was weird... but I guess it was the beauty of it! In the Philippines we have this term called "Sabaw" which in literal translation means "Soup". Most of the times,  I felt very "sabaw" while reading this. It was like my mind wasn't functioning well. I didn't absorb what I'm reading clearly. If you get what I mean. I hope you do.

I entered this book without knowing anything from it. The title is self-explanatory, so I didn't bother reading the the blurb at the back or anything. And I didn't really remember the reviews or book talks that I've seen about the book. In between reading the Ari and Dante, I could already see the ending coming. But it still surprised me. I must admit I didn't know what was going on in most parts, but I found myself crying at some. I couldn't explain it. It's the very first time I really can't fathom what I want to say. Some of the times I say that I can't explain what I feel, but the truth is I can. But I just chose not to. But then again, with this book... I just couldn't. Until now, I am lost for words. I couldn't. I couldn't. I couldn't. Shit.

I'm giving this a solid 5/5 rating (higher if possible) because there's nothing wrong with it. It's flawless. I just guess the start was boring because Ari is the definition of boring. Not as boring as the others but plain boring. Well, until Dante came along and became his best friend and then the fun events begin. 

I'm more of an Ari in the inside, with a hint of Dante. I don't feel like posting much about Ari and Dante because I think I'll just spoil everything up. There was a definite huge character development, which is one of the reasons why I loved this so much. It had such a huge impact on the story. Without it, this book wouldn't have been this good.
I barely read anything like this. The writing was a bit different, but it was easy to adjust in to. Props to you, Benjamin Alire Sáenz! You wrote a work of art. It really, really deserves the badges on the cover.

Here's a peek at my 'Reading Progress' in Goodreads:

--
This is a strong story about friendship, and family. And everything else that came with it.
If you're in a mood for a light, quick contemporary read- go pick this one up. Though it's a short book, it will give you all of the feels as humanly possible. This is the kind of a book I'd love to pick up again, and again.
Sometimes the greatest adventure is there right in front of you, but you just can't see it because you're looking so far away.